Wednesday, September 28, 2011

LOVIN' LIMA

Where to begin?!  The last few days have been just crazy, moving and starting all over again!  We had to meet at 4 in the morning on Saturday to be taken to the airport for our flight to Lima.  AND, after stressing, griping, and then deciding to deal with it, planning on paying $200 just to get my bags here...the guy at the airport didn't charge me a dime!  For any of the three of my bags!  Lima was destined to be a wonderful trip!

Day One - Airport reception by the wonderful ISA Staff.  A tasty lunch at a typical local restaurant that costs about 9 soles or 3 dollars ish that includes your drink, an appetizer, your meal, and a dessert! Food is super cheap here! I had tuna stuffed eggs on a vegetable salad and meat with tacu tacu which is rice and black beans cooked a special way...hard to explain.  But one thing everyone noticed that this place has that BsAs doesn't: SPICE! Praise the Lord! So glad to have a little picante back in my diet!!  We followed our lunch by a super long program orientation and were finally introduced to our host mamas who took us to our new homes! :) My host mom's name is Ana Maria Fernandez Revoredo and she is too sweet.  The house is actually two houses side by side connected by the front patio/garden and the back terrace.  On our side is Ana Maria, me, my two roommates Carlin and Kristen from Texas and Kentucky, and Ana Maria's youngest son, Gonzalo.  On the other side is Ana Maria's mom, brother, sister, oldest son and his wife.  We also have a maid that comes Monday through Saturday that is named Magdalena.  So after arriving to my new home and dragging my luggage that weighs as much as I do up the stairs, I unpack and eat dinner while needing toothpicks to hold my eyes open.  What a day.
  
My new room!


Our front patio area!
Day Two - FREE to explore but first I sleep in to get some well needed rest.  After brunch, Ana Maria takes me around the area in her car to show me a few of the sights..including the ocean!  And after we returned home, I set out on foot with a map in hand and go to find my friend's houses.  We live a lot less spread out here than we did in Buenos Aires.

Day Three - Tour of central Lima!  We walked (and it was quite a hike..and the sun happened to be out and now we all have red noses and foreheads) from the University to the center of Lima.  We visited the Plaza de Armas, had amazing churros with manjar blanco (the peru version of dulce de leche...doesn't look like I will be losing weight anytime soon ha), and ate at a Chifa (Chinese food restaurant).  Afterwards, for my friend's 21st birthday, her host mom invited some of us over for dinner and a cake and we all had the best time!  It felt so traditional..greeting everyone with a kiss on the cheek, sitting down for dinner around the table, having wonderful conversation IN SPANISH of course, and singing happy birthday in english and spanish!  It was a great time!

In front of the cathedral in the center of Lima!
Day Four - We all went bowling and to Larcomar, a huge open air, multi story mall built into the coastline of Lima that overlooks the Pacific!...I could definitely get used to shopping there....

View from the Larcomar shopping mall

BUT, this is only the beginning!  I absolutely LOVE LIMA so far...Peru seems to just scream Latin America! In contrast to BsAs, that was much more European feeling.  The people here are so friendly, genuine, not in a hurry, have time to talk, its nice.  There is color everywhere and I just love the feel of it.  We head to Machu Picchu on Thursday and I can't hardly wait!

And tomorrow?  I'm going surfing.  My idea of surfing may be more of standing on the beach with a smile on my face taking a picture with my surfboard...but I'm going to give it a try!

Super tired, gotta get to bed to be well rested for my surf lesson! More later!! Chau chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment