Thursday, September 15, 2011

Living the good life..Being a city girl..

After almost 7 weeks here in Buenos Aires, I feel like I am finally getting the hang of it!  Only to go someplace new in a couple weeks right?  When I first got here the noises kept me up at night or early in the mornings and I have finally adapted to sleeping on the 8th floor of an apartment building in the heart of the city.  I feel like I know my way around the Belgrano neighborhood, where I live, and the neighborhoods nearby, such as Palermo and Recoleta.  I am familiar with the subte, more or less with the buses, know where the trains are, and have been in my share of taxis.  It's weird to think that I haven't driven since July and won't until December.  I have become accustomed to the smell of fresh baked bread on every block when passing the panaderias, watching for the dog poop that is always on the sidewalks, and dodging the cars when crossing the street.  Last night, we went to the movies and it cost a cheap US$4.50 but the majority of things in Buenos Aires, dinner, clothes, necessities, are comparable to the prices in the US if not even more expensive.  Hence why I have not done a lot of clothes shopping during my time here.  My literature class is going well.  I don't like it as much as the grammar course I took when I first got here but it definitely beats a literature course back at home.  We read very little, discuss a lot, and take a lot of field trips.  Last week I went out more than I have since I have been here.  With the nightlife starting so late, its sometimes hard to get in the mood to go anywhere.  But last week we went to a concert called La Bomba and it is held in a large warehouse and is a group of musicians that play mostly different types of drums.  It was very fun and interesting.  Jobs is a bar we have been going to on Tuesdays.  There are a lot of Argentineans but also a lot of international students and they have darts, board games, pool, etc.  On Thursday we went with a guy from our group that is gay to the Buenos Aires "Out and About Gay Pub Crawl"..it was interesting and a good time!  And, Saturday we finally did it the Argentine way and went to bed when the sun was coming up.  I can check that off my list, I don't think it will be happening again...I like my sleep too much!  This week has been relaxing and the weather here has been so pretty.  Yesterday after class we were headed to a park to enjoy the outdoors and instead stumbled upon a Polo scrimage and sat and watched it.  Looking forward to my last few days in the big city!  I have a few more things to check off my list before I go on to conquer Peru!  More pictures of Uruguay soon!  Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment